Monday, March 25, 2013

Gluten Free, Dairy Free: What I Miss Eating

Lately I've been mourning all the foods I can no longer eat. For me, it's not necessarily the flavor that I really miss, but the social experience of eating whatever food it is.

I miss:

  • Pizza benders from Italian Village (a family tradition)
  • Pizza in general (though I had some killer pizza last week in Berkeley here.)
  • Sandwiches from Village Baker.
  • Sandwiches from Toasters.
  • Being able to get french toast, waffles, or pancakes when going out for breakfast/brunch.
  • Robb's killer homemade french toast. Hopefully we can find some GF bread so he can make it for me.
  • My sister's homemade banana bread. Especially when she brings it over freshly baked.
  • Donuts. Especially from Banbury Cross. Especially when my dad makes a random trip and brings some home on the weekend.
  • Ice Cream. I had some coconut milk ice cream but it just wasn't the same. 
  • In general, being able to eat anything at a restaurant. These days I'm limited to a couple items on the menu, and even then I'm not always 100% sure that the sauces don't contain gluten, or that the preparers did all they could to avoid cross contamination. 
It's surprising the things I don't miss as much as others. I thought I'd really miss regular bread, and sometimes I do, but usually it's because I want a sandwich. I thought I'd miss milk a ton but I've adjusted to my almond milk and like the flavor. One perk of going gluten free is that the food that is made to replace regular items like muffins (unlike bread) is soooo good because recipes are tried and retried to get the flavor just right. So muffins, cake, cookies, and some other sweets taste great to me. There are some really good GF breakfast cereals that I enjoy more than regular ones.

Looking pregnant but nope, I just ate wheat or dairy
Other things I don't miss:
  • Never knowing when I'd be stuck sick in a bathroom- at a restaurant, at a store, with my toddler.
  • Feeling bloated (and looking pregnant) and sick after every meal.
  • The ten pounds I said goodbye to.
  • The unhealthy eating habits I was making. (Much easier to avoid fast food now)
  • How tired I always was.
  • How moody I always was. (still have my moments. ;)
So I try to count my blessings and appreciate the good when I'm crying over not being able to eat something I really want to. It really is a lifestyle change, and I'm still in the learning phase. I'm looking forward to a future that includes me being more prepared, more knowledgable, and more in control of the food I eat.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, My heart goes out to you. I get it. I miss so much too, with my diabetes, and I am sad when little Tessa has to miss outo n social things like birthday parties and things like that. We are getting good at having a nice stock pile of fun food that we can grab-n-run for social things, but it is still suc a shift, and it has made us all shift. I don't bake like I used to because it is such a hastle to make Gf and Regular, or to make GF cheaply enpugh to use for the whole family. I am glad you are happy and well, though, and you will live a longer and better quality of life!!!

    ReplyDelete